Skip to main content
Ramakrishna Math

Holy Mother's Rock

Darshan hours :          
5.00 am – 11:30 am  and  4.00 pm – 6:30 pm

On 24th March 1911, The Holy Mother accompanied by two or three of her companions, came out of her room and, in order to have a better view of the setting sun climbed the hillock situated behind her room. Inspired by the atmosphere, she sat down for a while on the rock meditating.

Swami Ramakrishnanda learnt of her going to the rock, said with surprise: ‘Indeed! Mother has become parvatavasini (a dweller of the mountains)’. He went up straight to the Mother, prostrated before her, and chanted the three well-known verses from the Devi Mahatyam (Chandi) which are used for the salutation of the Divine Mother. Swami Nirmalananda and Shashi Maharaj requested Mother to perform japa, which of course she did, before returning to her room.

The sacred hillock which measures around 200 feet in length and 60 feet in width and 10 feet in height from the entrance has come to known as Holy Mother’s Rock.

In 1967 a stone mantapam was raised over the spot where the Mother sat in meditation. A medium sized photograph in black and white in her usual sitting pose was installed in a small glass case under the mantapam.

The mantapam has the architectural beauty of the four-century old stone towers installed at the four corners of Bangalore by the then chieftain Kempegowda II.

In 1993, a Sri Chakra made in stained glass and encased in a wooden frame was fixed atop Mother’s photo-case.