Vivekananda Yuvaka Sangha
- Cultural and Recreational Centres for Youths in age of 16-30 years
Youth is the period when the three powers – creativity, self-esteem and instincts are developed to their full development as an individual. Success comes to one who channelizes these powers properly and develops one’s self-consciousness to the maximum.
VYS attempts to help youths achieve this through ‘self-conscious activity’ which, according to Swami Vivekananda, can bring power, glory, goodness, and purity. Men between 15 and 35 years of age are eligible to join this forum. 3.00 pm – 5.00 pm on Sundays: Prayer, meditation, study of our cultural heritage and Swami Vivekananda’s works, discussion on a current issue and a question-answer session.
- Conducting religious classes, games, yogasanas, tuition for local impoverished children.
- VYS members regularly visit the Government Hospital, Royapettah and serve the needy patients. The members serve the cancer patients undergoing chemo and radiotherapy and also leprosy afflicted persons and T.B. patients in isolation wards.
- VYS members give counseling to instill faith in life and God at the time of suffering and also discuss personal hygiene issues and make the patients aware of their ailments and treatment.
- VYS members distribute books and magazines to help patients spend time in a prayerful way. They also dispel unnecessary fears of the rural people regarding the diseases.
- Cleaning the Temple and the Math premises.
- Conducting Exhibition and competition on Swami Vivekananda’s Life in Schools.